Optimates Optimates

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Pop Culture Corner Vol. 1




As Promised!

After reading this wonderful post from the A.V. Club (go to item #3), I realized that, for one thing, the Oscars are kind of crap. I know this is in no way shocking and that I'm maybe the last literate person outside of L.A. to come to this conclusion, but there it is. It didn't seem like this when I was growing up, starry-eyed by the hopes of one day working in the movie industry, so to me the Academy Awards still hold a holy significance for me that they almost surely don't deserve.

Now, however, my faith is badly lapsing. I mean, come on. A Beautiful Mind? Gladiator? Crash, of all things? And those are just in the last five years or so. Go back further and apparently Driving Miss Daisy is better thanDo the Right Thing. The first ever Best Picture Winner was the 1928 film Wings. You've never heard of it, of course, except for possibly in the trivia that it was the first ever best picture winner. With a few exceptions of obviously phenomenal films that were instant classics, most Best Picture winners are the sort of thing that fade into relative obscurity about a week or two after their coronation. Million Dollar Baby is a great film, of course, but not one that people of any age or demographic are likely to be watching at home in the future.

My point is that Great Movies can only be judged from a little bit of distance, and maybe shouldn't be chiefly judged by those who make them, at the whim of the politics of any given week. As such, I give you The First Ever (and likely ever) Revisionist Oscars!

(and beg for your replies...)

I'm only going back to 1990, because it's unlikely that any of us truly have enough of a memory of anything before that, and if we do it's bound to be tainted by nostalgia.

1990 - WINNER - DANCES WITH WOLVES

(other movies that year* included Goodfellas; Ghost; Awakenings; The Grifters; The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover; Last Exit to Brooklyn; Miller's Crossing; The Nasty Girl; Beauty and the Beast**; Edward Scissorhands)

1991 - WINNER - SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

(JFK; Naked Lunch; Boyz n the Hood; My Own Private Idaho; Thelma and Louise; The Fisher King)

1992 - WINNER - UNFORGIVEN

(The Crying Game; A Few Good Men; Glengarry Glenn Ross; Howard's End; The Player; My Cousin Vinny; Malcolm X; Reservoir Dogs; Aladdin)

1993 - WINNER - SCHINDLER'S LIST

(The Piano; In the Name of the Father; The Fugitive; Philadelphia; Short Cuts; The Nightmare Before Christmas; Menace II Society; Strictly Ballroom)

1994 - WINNER - FORREST GUMP

(Pulp Fiction; The Shawshank Redemption; The Hudsucker Proxy; Ed Wood; Quiz Show; Heavenly Creatures)

1995 - WINNER - BRAVEHEART

(Apollo 13; Babe; Mr. Holland's Opus; Leaving Las Vegas; Dead Man Walking; 12 Monkeys; The Usual Suspects; Get Shorty; Toy Story)

1996 - WINNER - THE ENGLISH PATIENT

(Fargo; The People vs. Larry Flint; Jerry Maguire; Shine; Sling Blade; Trainspotting; Welcome to the Dollhouse; Bound)

1997 - WINNER - TITANIC

(L.A. Confidential; As Good as it Gets; Good Will Hunting; The Full Monty; Wag the Dog; The Ice Storm; Chasing Amy; Boogie Nights)

1998 - WINNER - SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE

(Saving Private Ryan; Elizabeth; Life is Beautiful; The Thin Red Line; The Truman Show; Out of Sight; Bullworth; Rushmore)

1999 - WINNER - AMERICAN BEAUTY

(Fight Club; Magnolia; The Sixth Sense; The Green Mile; The Hurricane; Boys Don't Cry; The Insider; Being John Malkovich)

2000 - WINNER - GLADIATOR

(Wonder Boys; Almost Famous; Traffic; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Erin Brockovich; You Can Count on Me; Requiem for a Dream)

2001 - WINNER - A BEAUTIFUL MIND***

(Ocean's Eleven; Moulin Rouge; Gosford Park; In the Bedroom; The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring; Mullholland Drive; Monsters' Ball; Ali; Monsters, Inc.; Shreck; The Royal Tenebaums)

2002 - WINNER - CHICAGO

(Gangs of New York; The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers; The Hours; The Pianist; Adaptation; Catch Me If You Can; About Schmidt; Road to Perdition)

2003 - WINNER - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING

(Lost in Translation; Mystic River; Finding Nemo; Pirates of the Caribbean; Monster; Whale Rider; In America; The Last Samurai; Kill Bill Vol. 1)

2004 - WINNER - MILLION DOLLAR BABY

(Sideways; Ray; The Aviator; Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind; Closer; Maria Full of Grace; Kill Bill Vol. 2)

2005 - WINNER - CRASH***

(Brokeback Mountain; Sin City; Munich; Good Night and Good Luck; Syriana; Transamerica; Walk the Line)

So there it is. Have at it, folks.

*These lists of other movies are, of course, not exclusive nor comprehensive, and serve only as helpful reminders. I also chose not to mention this year's Oscar's as we're still too close to properly judge anything.

**The first animated film ever nominated for Best Picture.

***Imagine a written, audible sigh, as I lose a little more faith in humanity.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Wait, I’m confused. Were you looking for comments on how the Oscars are totally political and miss the mark every year, or were you looking for us to chose our own best pictures for the last 15 years? Because the first part: well, yeah. That’s kind of always been the case. It’s a bloated, over the top love-fest from Hollywood that picks whatever film manages to campaign the hardest and connect with the aging folks that are in the Academy. And I watch it slavishly every year, because even though I know how ridiculous it is, I still get caught up in the anticipation of who will win (and I get to win Oscar pools, oh yeah)

As for the second, I’ll just pick what I think was the best film out of the ones you mentioned

1990 Goodfellas
1991 Silence of the Lambs (though The Fisher King is still one of my all-time favorites)
1992 My Cousin Vinny (comedies are highly underrated, and I fell asleep watching Unforgiven)
1993 Schindlers List (because you kind of have to)
1994 Shawshank Redemption
1995 12 Monkeys
1996 Fargo
1997 LA Confidential (but I agree with the Onion – Titanic grows on you over time)
1998 Shakespeare in Love (suck it, overdone and maudlin war movies!)
1999 Three Kings, even though it’s not on your list. However, American Beauty is a close runner-up
2000 Wonder Boys
2001 Hmm…. Gosford Park, although I don’t really love any of those choices
2002 I love Chicago. No apologies.
2003 Return of the King – come on, one of them had to win
2004 Eternal Sunshine
2005 Brokeback Mountain
2006 Children of Men or Pan’s Labrynth

01 April, 2007 11:56  
Blogger Pascals Bookie said...

Wow, Kelly, your list is almost exactly the same as mine, and yes, that's what I was looking for.

1990 - Goodfellas
1991 - Silence of the Lambs
1992 - My Cousin Vinny (really, have any of the others stuck with us as much? And this movie just gets better every time I see it)
1993 - The Fugitive (I understand Schindler's List, but it didn't do anything for me, as much as I was told that it should, and as much as I wanted it to)
1994 - Pulp Fiction (if only because it barely edges out Shawshank in terms of importance)
1995 - The Usual Suspects
1996 - Trainspotting (you know me)
1997 - L.A. Confidential (barely beating "Wag the Dog")
1998 - The Truman Show (though "Life is Beautiful is so much more effective than "Schindler's List" I adore "Shakespeare in Love" as well)
1999 - Fight Club
2000 - Wonder Boys
2001 - Moulin Rouge
2002 - Chicago (I agree)
2003 - Finding Nemo (I mean, come on)
2004 - Eternal Sunshine (sorry, Kill Bill Vol. 2)
2005 - Sin City

Let's hear from some more peeps! Come on!

02 April, 2007 01:13  
Blogger Pascals Bookie said...

Oh, and 2006? Pan's Labyrinth, without question.

02 April, 2007 01:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home