Optimates Optimates

Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Fantastically Stupid Article

Have you ever read an article and wondered whether the authors were being paid to write such obvious falsehoods, or if they simply lacked common sense and perception?

Well, I have just such an article for you right here. It's another in a long list of denialism about our current automobile culture. They often run on a common theme, and this one is no exception: Cars are good because people like cars, and they are a sign of wealth. Or something like that. In truth, here are the five 'myths' the authors set out to debunk:

  1. Americans are addicted to driving.

  2. Public transit can reduce traffic congestion.

  3. We can cut air pollution only if we stop driving.

  4. We're paving over America.

  5. We can't deal with global warming unless we stop driving.

My favorite, as you must have gathered, is #2. Is it really a myth that public transportation reduces traffic congestion? Here's an especially choice paragraph, in which the authors state that it would be just too darned hard for us to make our suburbs transit-friendly:

Many officials say we should reconfigure the landscape -- pack people in more tightly -- to make it fit better with a transit-oriented lifestyle. But that would mean increasing density in existing developments by bulldozing the low-density neighborhoods that countless families call home. Single-family houses, malls and shops would have to make way for a stacked-up style of living that most don't want. And even then the best-case scenario would be replicating New York, where only one in four commuters uses mass transit. [Emphasis mine]
Read that bold passage again. What could be a more blatant misrepresentation of what sensible planners are suggesting? Planners suggest that new development should ideally be created in a manner that creates higher-density neighborhoods. This means zoning with more regular street plans and smaller lot sizes. Where do the authors get the notion that this is the same thing as bulldozing existing neighborhoods? Again, I ask if they're honestly this stupid or if they're being paid off.

Never mind that beneath the entire article is the implicit assumption that we will have enough oil (or hydrogen, or ethanol, or magic beans) to continue running our cars at the same capacity forever. Well, I'm sorry, but we won't. We just won't. And it makes far more sense to begin planning for an oil-short future sensibly than plugging our hands over our ears and repeating that everything is fine.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pascals Bookie said...

I want a citation of his claim that only one-in-four New York communters use Mass Transit. The hell?

Anyway, thanks for the link. It was good for a cringe-inducing laugh.

29 January, 2007 12:06  
Blogger gcolbath said...

Well, I have to agree with the part about speed and convenience. As a "reverse commuter" myself, I travel from Chicago to the middle of BFE to work every morning. There's no reliable transit to where I work. There's some, but it would turn my already 1 hour commute into a 3 hour one.

No thanks.

I already get up at 6(ish) to get to work... you want me to get up at 3?

I think not.

Most of the article is pretty stupid, though. I don't think that transit relies on density. I mean, it wouldn't work in a place like I grew up in... it's a little too rural for that. But Existing suburbs are plenty transit-friendly. Most towns are located around or near a major train depot—at least for the local commuter rail system, Metra. If people need to, they can drive from the outlying areas and park at these depots, and then take the train to another suburb, or all the way into the city. (Unfortunately, there is no such train line near my place of employ).

Also, I agree with the debunking of the "Paving over America" thing. Not to say that I'm in favor of more development over our natural resources, but the vast majority of this country is non-developed. Most suburban sprawl has been made possible by converting old farming land (which we also have plenty of) into developments and subdivisions. This configuration is in no way desirable to me... but it also doesn't encroach on any endangered natural resources.

I don't have a particular standpoint on the air quality issue, but I know that gas mileage and emissions standards are helping somewhat in that department. However, I would definitely be in support of R&D on hydrogen-based combustion engines. Hydrogen is pretty plentiful, and you can drink the exhaust!

02 February, 2007 12:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home