Optimates Optimates

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Election Post

I'm going to use this post as our election updates & discussion spot. As results (from the several states as well as the federal offices) come in this evening, I'll post some updates and some commentary as appropriate.

Until then, I'd love for you to use the comments section to offer predications on the races, as well as any personal voting experiences you had today. Happy Election Day!

Update: 10:30 p.m. This is too big a story to remain hidden in the comments. Charlie Bass, six-term Congressman from New Hampshire's 2nd district, has just conceded to Democratic challenger Paul Hodes. This is the more liberal of the state's two districts, so I'm not entirely surprised. As I write, the 1st district race between Carol Shea-Porter and Jeb Bradley is too close to call. Stunning, all of it.

Update: 11:25 p.m. New Hampshire's delegation to the U.S. House is now entirely Democratic: Carol Shea-Porter just received the nod in the 1st district over incumbent Republican Jeb Bradley. In more statewide news, Gov. Lynch cleaned Coburn's clock by a margin of nearly three-to-one. The State Senate, if trends hold, will pass to the Democrats. It's a very, very different New Hampshire!

Update: 11:50 p.m. The Democratic victory in New Hampshire has now approached truly historic proportions. As of the latest Associated Press count, the State House has switched to the Democratic Party: with a few districts still up for grabs, the margin is 213 D, 153 R. The State Senate looks to be 14 D, 10 R. The Executive Council - The Executive Council! - may well end up 3 D, 2 R. The last time the Democrats had this kind of control over New Hampshire state government was... ummm... let me get back to you on that.

Update: 12:00 a.m. The last time the Democrats were this strong in New Hampshire was 1912. Time flies, doesn't it? And with that, I'm off to bed. Commenters, the floor is yours.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Not much to report here. There weren't a whole lot of tough choices. I did vote for Hillary (with much the same nose holding as when I voted for Kerry in 2004) under the "Independence" party just for kicks. Also, I refused to vote on any of the three judges who were up for (I assume Re) election. I'd like someone to explain to me why electing judges is a good idea.
One final amusing anecdote from my voting experience.
Chris: How are you today?
Election Worker: Not as good as you, but I'll do.
Does our generation ever say awesome things like this unironically? I wish we did...

07 November, 2006 19:12  
Blogger Defalco said...

My election anecdote.

I walk through the door and see my neighbor Edna by the election clerk.

Edna-Hi Nate.
Me-(to Edna) Hi. (to election clerk) I'm Nate.

I ended up voting straight republician. I checked off each name though so I could at least give myself the option of not voting a straight ticket.

07 November, 2006 19:27  
Blogger Melanie said...

Absentee voting is anti-climactic, as always, but I did have a fun experience in the August run-off. I was on bedrest still, but by gosh, I was going to vote. Tacitean wheeled me into the library (our polling place) in my beautifully-decorated wedding wheelchair. We passed someone who recognized the decorations:

Lady: Are you Marcia's daughter?
Me: Yes...
Lady: Oh! I work with Kim (a family friend who works at the hospital where I spent my pre-wedding vacation) and heard about the "bride with the bloodclot." Aren't you supposed to be on bedrest?

Fortunately, we swore her to secrecy.

It was also amusing watching the pollworkers scramble to make one of the machines wheelchair accessible. It was the first time Tacitean had seen voting machines, and he didn't like the looks of them.

07 November, 2006 22:11  
Blogger Joshua said...

Your New Hampshire update:

If my hometown is any indication, the Republicans are in for a rough night. We're in a fairly Republican county, but the Democratic GOTV seems to have done its work. Direct from the town moderator (my dad!), here are the totals:

Governor
Lynch (D) 181 - Coburn (R) 65
Congress
Shea-Porter (D) 153 - Bradley (R) 96
Executive Council
Burton (R) 120 - Blotner (D) 118
State Senate
Jackman (D) 129 - Gallus (R) 104
State House
Brigham (D) 130 - Philbrick (R) 121

Again, if Albany is representative of the county or the state, things could look very different in Concord tomorrow morning.

07 November, 2006 22:34  
Blogger Joshua said...

This just in: I am now going to be represented in the State House by a Democrat. I can't even process this information right now.

07 November, 2006 22:59  
Blogger Defalco said...

If I hear anything about income or sales taxes I'm moving to....to....oh no....
It's too late isn't it?!

I wonder if there's any music stores in the outback...I bet I could take out tax collectors if I got good with a boomerang.

07 November, 2006 23:47  
Blogger Defalco said...

No more Rumy! No more Rumy! Rumsfled is stepping down! hahahahaha~!

you heard it here first!

08 November, 2006 13:21  
Blogger Kelly said...

I'm sharing with you my favorite quote that I've seen from any blog regarding the election:

"When Britney kicked K-Fed out, I knew things were going our way. It was a sign that yesterday was a day for kicking assholes out of houses. Especially assholes that like to spend money that isn’t theirs."
-a commenter on feministe.us

08 November, 2006 21:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home