Optimates Optimates

Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Republican Delegate from Albany: Part II

I return from the New Hampshire GOP Convention having learned much. It's interesting to compare the media's account of the event and with my perspective as a delegate. I think the Union Leader account is pretty fair, for the most part.

As it notes, the strongest sentiment at the convention was to get the court system out of the education funding battle that's been going on for decades now. The latest ruling from the New Hampshire Supremes said the Legislature has until June 30, 2007 to come up with a solution on how to fund education - or the courts will design one for them. Most delegates in attendance - including me - think this means the imposition of some kind of broad-based state tax, be it an income or a sales tax. This is something the GOP has stood against since the dawn of time.

However, I took issue with many of my fellow delegates on the form their opposition has now taken:

They [the delegates] also supported a resolution giving lawmakers the sole authority to determine the constitutionality of the laws they pass on a 150-88 vote. The resolution’s sponsor, Rep. William Field, R-Pembroke, said the constitution does not say the court has the authority to determine a law’s constitutionality.

“This says the court can’t walk across the street and counter what we are doing,” Field said.

It shouldn't surprise you to learn that I was in the 88-vote minority on this resolution. I simply don't think the Legislature should have this kind of power. As one of the resolution's opponents said, what if the Legislature passed a law that was prima facie unconstitutional? Could there be no legal action taken against it? I think the ramifications of this resolution - should it indeed be taken up by the next Legislature - are serious and the intent behind it is wrong.

I have a great deal more to say, but I prefer to let the commenters have a first go at their blogger/delegate. Is there anything else you'd like to know about the workings of the New Hampshire GOP? Let me know!

1 Comments:

Blogger Defalco said...

Hey everbody! The new Killers album is pretty good. We put it on tonight and listened to it at work. Go get today!

Oh and ummm....Republic?

02 October, 2006 22:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home