Optimates Optimates

Monday, September 25, 2006

Solace in the Classics

Be all of that as it may, it is nice to have stumbled into my current (temporary) position, where I quite literally get paid to read Latin all day.

One of the joys of the job is that I get to introduce young minds to delightfully subversive verses like these:

Your husband is going to the same dinner party as we are: I pray that this be the final meal for that man! How, exactly, will I deal with seeing my sweet darling as just another party girl? Will it be another man you cuddle? Will you cherish the chest of another man, snuggled in tight? Will he put his hand on your shoulder whenever he wants?

Ovid, the author of these verses, was banned from Rome by the Princeps himself. Now that's poetry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home