Optimates Optimates

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The future will be arriving shortly... sort of.

As posted on TechCrunch, yesterday:

Google, parent organization of Blogger, announced features that will appear in the new version, out in beta now at beta.blogger.com.

Among the features listed were:

  • Tagging posts—something others have been doing for some time. This will aid in searchability of blogs.
  • Individual posts will be able to be published to the Blogspot servers, instead of republishing the entire blog after each post. Hallelujah.
  • Privacy settings will be enabled. Blogs can be public, private or read only by invitation. I'm not sure this is pertinient to us, but it's still a new feature.
  • Drag and drop layout. I guess I'm out of yet another job.
  • Feeds. Feeds for all comments and individual feeds for comments on each post. RSS and Atom will be supported.

I'm assuming the drag-and-drop interface will be similar to Google's personalized homepage (http://www.google.com/ig).

We're not using feeds, that I know of, at this time. But, it's something that I've been thinking about lately, and this latest news just makes it that much more of a good idea. I think Google is making some good moves, here, to bring Blogger back to the forefront of Blogging sites and technology.

I'll check it out, soon. I wouldn't recommend making the jump too soon, as some say it's still unstable. But others may feel free to go over there, and play around with it. Then, we can share thoughts on the upgrade, if we so desire.

1 Comments:

Blogger gcolbath said...

Yeah, but it could be a little more integrated... Live bookmarks are a browser feature. We could actually have links that people could use to subscribe with their RSS aggregator of choice.

Plus, I don't think the current system supports RSS feeding of comments, as well.

17 August, 2006 10:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home