Optimates Optimates

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Blog/HTML Etiquette

I hope you all like what I’ve done with the place. I found a little extra time, here and there, and got a few ideas, and learned a few tricks for generating icons… and Voila!

Now that we have a pretty (in my humble opinion) good look to our site, I think it would be swell to have our posts reflect the same level of formatting polish.

Due to Blogger’s special little quirks, and the fact that most better services are not free, there have to be two forks in this guide—one for posts, and one for comments. This is due to the fact that the “Convert Line Breaks” setting is applied to both posts and comments. I find this to be quite perplexing, especially since Blogger doesn’t allow the use of paragraph (<p></p>) tags in comments—thus necessitating the need for converting line breaks… unless we want to end each paragraph of a comment with two <br> tags.

So, here’s my quick and handy guide to making your post formatting spot-on:

In posts:
Posts should use paragraph tags, as this will ensure proper formatting, and aid in the indexing of the pages for search engines, etc. Because of the “Convert Line Breaks” setting, there can be no “hard returns” after you close a paragraph, else there be an extra, awkward space after each:

Example:
<p>This is my first paragraph.</p>
<p>This is my second paragraph.</p>

Displays like this:

This is my first paragraph.


This is my second paragraph.

While:
<p>This is my first paragraph.</p><p>This is my second paragraph.</p>

Displays as the text should be formatted:

This is my first paragraph.

This is my second paragraph.

Additionally, items such as <ul>s and <ol>s need to follow the same rules: no hitting enter after closing a tag. Blogger will insert spaces, and make everything look awkward.

Another useful tip for quoting people is to use the <blockquote></blockquote> tags. This makes a handy little indentation on either side of a quote, which does an excellent job of differentiating between your own content and someone else’s. I can, taking it a step further, add styling to this through the stylesheet—so that all you have to do is use the <blockquote> tags, and it can appear in a different size, italics, and lighter color (just as an example).

Lastly, I would like to establish a rule either for or against styling our own posts. I have no strong feelings one way or another… but if individual style aren’t going to be ruled out, I want to develop styles for everyone who wants one, so instead of:

<p style="color: #ff7700; font-size: 123%; font: 'Trebuchet MS', Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif;">Here’s my personal style.</p>

Displaying:

Here’s my personal style.

You can just use:
<p class="myStyle">Here’s my personal style.</p>

And it can still display:

Here’s my personal style.

Now, on to comments:
For the most part, people aren’t having any problems with comments. There have been a few.

Comments are where the “Convert Line Breaks” rule works in our favor: hitting enter twice will put one blank line between our paragraphs in comments. The use of bold, italics and underline tags (<b>, <i>, <u>, respectively) is allowed in comments, but little else, from my exploration.

If I find new and better ways to format comments, I’ll be sure to come out with another how-to for them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

Stupendous work, Gaufridus. We are all in your debt. Thank you especially for reminding us of 'blockquote'; I've used it sporadically and should do it more. It will help me indicate when I'm quoting someone else, and I like the style sheet you've come up with to make it look good.

Let me ask for one small thing that I would like to see, although I don't know how this will be received. To the right of the site "flag" at the top, could we put maybe some classical-looking thing? An insignia or picture or something? I just think it would go nicely with the clouds and the name of the site. But that's such a minor thing, and I love what you've done with the site overall. Awesome!

17 June, 2006 14:39  
Blogger Joshua said...

The new blockquote style looks great, by the way.

18 June, 2006 20:22  
Blogger gcolbath said...

Thank you for your honesty. I run the gamut, when it comes to web design, and background content. Sometimes I use images, somtimes I use color fields.

When I couldn't find a color I really liked (the lavender was getting to me, and all the blues I tried weren't working), I turned to images. I wanted something that said "enlightened," since that's one of the basic tenets of the original Optimates (Good Men), in consideration of the republic.

But I digress.

So, I was thinking about using a sunset/rise, but I thought that might be too much orange—and I was going for an orange-grey/orange-blue scheme, in the tradition of complimentary colors. I thought a nice blue sky with clouds would do the trick nicely.

I did take the image, and knock down it's levels to reduce contrast, and make it less distracting and more appropriate for background use.

I rather like it, but if the majority would like to see something else, by all means, speak up.

19 June, 2006 12:50  
Blogger Kelly said...

I like the clouds. It brings to mind the image us sitting up high above everything discussing important issues... which then brings to mind Mt. Olympus, which then brings to mind Greek philosophers, and some of the inspiration for the site.

Just an insight into how my trains of thought run. Also, I like images. I find them far more interesting than just using a basic color scheme.

19 June, 2006 13:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home