Optimates Optimates

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Good eats!

Boudicca and I went to the new Thai place in North Conway last night, the Bangkok Cafe, and we could not have been more pleased. It's a cozy atmosphere, the waiter was a fine citizen, and the food was delicious and bountiful. Highest recommendation.
Note to our fellow bloggers familiar with the area's Thai cuisine: Bangkok Cafe ranks on par with Siam Orchid, and above both the Spicy Lime and Thai Star.
I've got a crazy idea for the commenters: I want to hear about your best and worst "out-of-the-way" dining experiences. Is there a good Hungarian restaurant that you know about? A terrible Indian place to avoid? Let's hear it!

4 Comments:

Blogger gcolbath said...

I am not familiar with the Bangkok Cafe or the Saim Orchid, but I am a fan of Spicy Lime. I'll have to check them out, next time I'm home...

There's a great Indian/Middle Eastern place at W. Devon Ave. & N. Seeley St. in Chicago, called Gareeb Nawaz. They have good food, CHEAP. I mean, it may not be gourmet, but for the money, it's out of this world. They have counter-style service, so the service can't be critiqued too much. They are very professional. My favorite selection from the menu is either the Gyros Paratha Boti, or the Gyros Chicken Boti. Botis are a kind of wrap sandwich consisting of fried flat bread, meat and spices, and lightly sauteed onions. At about $2.50 a pop, you can be full for hours for less than $7, including a soft drink.

It used to be more out of the way, though still very much worth it. But, now the future Mrs. Gaufridus and I don't live too far from there.

That's my "Affordable, Out-of-the-Way, Hole-in-the-Wall, Good Eats" venue for today.

Cheers!

02 April, 2006 16:43  
Blogger Joshua said...

This may sound like outsized local pride, but Shalimar in North Conway really is the best Indian food I've had.

02 April, 2006 19:52  
Blogger Melanie said...

Shalimar sure beats the India House in lovely, cosmopolitan Burlington. At least Shalimar takes you seriously when you request your food to have at least a modicum of spiciness. At India House, they mock the "whities" who think they may want their food to have flavor.

02 April, 2006 20:51  
Blogger Melanie said...

Anyone visiting Peachtree City, GA must eat at El Ranchero next to the Braelinn Kroger (the one in Westpark Walk is subpar, in my opinion). It is by far my favorite restaurant, and I was most disheartened that my stomach did not cooperate during my last visit home to enable me to enjoy some delightful Mexican food.

03 April, 2006 17:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home