Optimates Optimates

Monday, March 27, 2006

Hypocrite alert

I was listening to Sean Hannity's radio show (I know, I know...) last Friday as he interviewed stand-up comic Larry the Cable Guy. Apparently LtCG loves America! As such a big America-lover, Hannity tip-toed around the crassness inherent in so much of LtCG's act. You should have heard Hannity giggle about how he would have to cover his son's ears and eyes during "the bad parts" of LtCG's movie. Tee-hee!
I know this shouldn't bother me, but consider me bothered. Funny is funny and crass is crass (and sometimes funny, too). It's not the case that when a "liberal" comic says something, it's immediately Vulgarity To Be Defeated, but when a "conservative" comic says the same thing, it's All-American Fun Times.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

I don't want to hear "Git 'r done" anymore, either.

27 March, 2006 20:45  
Blogger Melanie said...

For my money, Ron White is the best part of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Jeff Foxworthy is funny to a point. Bill Engvall's "here's your sign" schtick gets really old, really quickly. Larry the Cable Guy is just dumb. Foxworthy does redneck far better. Ron White, however, reminds us that while we may have the right to remain silent, sometimes we do not have the ability.

I hope I did the html magic correctly...

27 March, 2006 21:55  
Blogger Melanie said...

It seems I did. Yippee!

It is a shame that I fell asleep last night before seeing Ron White's new Comedy Central special. My parents apparently have the CD of the act and find it riotous. Of course, they wouldn't play it for me while I was home because nothing goes worse with an upset stomach than excessive laughter and abdominal convulsions.

Did anyone else see it?

27 March, 2006 21:57  
Blogger Pascals Bookie said...

For what it's worth, I ADORE Ron White. I rented the Blue Collar Comedy Tour DVD a few years ago specifically for his part of it, and was not disappointed. Then, I bought his concert DVD - by chance - the day ti was released. As well, it was awesome. Clearly, I disagree with him on a few points - notably the death penalty, but he is the only southern comedian I know of who doesn't make his comedy about being southern, but somehow makes it both crass and urbane at the same time. Also, he looks exactly like every member of my father's side of the family, which is weird, but probably just makes him all the more personable to me.

28 March, 2006 00:13  
Blogger Joshua said...

I believe you mean Ron "Tater Salad" White... and yes, he's the funniest of the four.

28 March, 2006 07:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to double standards, oh Prophet of the North Country!

29 March, 2006 13:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home