Optimates Optimates

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Let the Games Begin: Well, the opening ceremony of the 2006 Winter Olympics was an elating and sobering moment for me. I love the Winter Olympics. They're my single favorite sporting event above all others. Sure, I can get excited about the World Series, or the Superbowl... but I love me some Winter sports. Only problem is: it makes me homesick (now, that these are the first games I've seen since moving from the glorious Granite State) and regretful. It makes me wish I'd tried harder to be a better Alpine racer. But, I was lazy... or depressed... or both. Perhaps I still am. We all have ways for attaining happiness... I'm just not sure what mine is, anymore.

I went to the Join Bode site, and watched most, if not all, of the video clips in which he shares his philosophies. I have to agree with most of them. I watched enough of them to earn the right to "add a leaf to the 'Bode Tree.'" You get to put your name in, and add a creed of your own (the Olympic Creed is mentioned, and Bode's fondness for it). Here's what I had to share:

Never forget where you came from. But don't dwell in the past... that detracts from the present, and can lead to regret. Be happy with the path that you have chosen. It's usually the right one.

I'll try hard to live up to this myself... though sometimes it's hard.

On a related note: Bode says that people who let others decide things for them (thoughts, feelings, clothing, etc.) are the most miserable. Now, I know his lifestyle isn't appealing to everyone, but I'm sure there are some folks out there that enjoy the simple life, who are saying to themselves "Maybe I should be more like him..." Now, I know that these are people who aren't quite getting his message... but by him letting Nike publish his ideals, he's essentially letting himself be put out there to influence others... albeit a side effect of his sharing his views.

Otherwise, I am glad to see most of the world united in an event that's free of war, politics, and other sources of needless contention and strife.

That is all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

Did you see Bode on his last training run? He clearly could have destroyed the lead time, but he was just testing out the various parts of the course to get a better feel for them. I was impressed.
For my money, the craziest sport is the beast that is luge/bobsled/skeleton. A slight bend at the toes means the difference between crashing into a wall at 60 mph and a world record. NutZ~!

12 February, 2006 15:05  
Blogger gcolbath said...

I dont' know if you caught an explanation, but in time trials, they decide the order the recers go in for the actual event. They take the order from the time trials, and reverse it for the event... so if you were the fastest in time trials, you go last in the event. Bode put the brakes on at the end so as to try and secure a spot in the middle of the pack.

I heard, thgough, on AM radio today that Bode placed fifth in the event. I'm sure he doesn't care too much... that's part of his philosophy. Fifth ain't too bad... but he may also have done it on purpose, to prove some sort of point--like not winning doesn't mean that you did poorly. The media's playing right into his hands, too... saying things like "Heartbreak for Bode Miller at the Olympics," when he really doesn't care about winning that much. Good stuff, really.

Ok, I'm off to the gym... part of my "self betterment" program... ;)

12 February, 2006 15:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home