Optimates Optimates

Sunday, January 29, 2006

The third way: In my first-person observations of the political climate of small-town America, as well as my interactions with urban and suburban America, I've noticed that the idea of 'Peak Oil' has started to gain traction. What's interesting is that it's not restricted to politican partisans of either stripe : some liberals have grabbed onto the idea out of their instinctive dislike of large corporations, while some conservatives have embraced the idea because it hints at greater localism. Why, just today I was talking with a Republican Congressional candidate - read all about it in Wednesday's Courier - who echoed many of the popular 'end of oil' sentiments.
I mean, if you need any greater example, look at the comments in the economic post, where Boudicca, Pascal's Bookie, and I are in complete agreement. How often does that happen?
My sense is that this could be the new "swing issue" that realigns the parties and gives either one a sustainable majority. Whichever party can craft a plan for post-petroleum future or coopt those who have will win big. So, who's it going to be?

4 Comments:

Blogger Pascals Bookie said...

SO that nobody is unclear, I'm TOTALLY, 100% behind great nuclear plant proliferation.

30 January, 2006 23:08  
Blogger Chris said...

Me too! Matter/Energy equivalence... is there anything you CAN'T do?

I think that Cato's point about changing our demand for in addition to worrying about our supply of energy is very good. I don't have time right now, but lets have a discussion about what CAN be legislated or policy driven in terms of better city planning, public transport, zoning, and fuel efficiency standards.

More later.

31 January, 2006 14:32  
Blogger Joshua said...

You're a big booster for rolling back the car culture and creating sustainable cities, so long as it doesn't require changing laws. Did I read that right?

01 February, 2006 23:04  
Blogger Joshua said...

Perhaps we have a disagreement in terms. When you say 'legislation,' do you just mean Congress and the federal branch, or do you mean any and all laws?
If you just mean Congress, well, howdy, I agree with you. The federal government is daft.
But I'm including local zoning amendments and town ordinances under the heading of legislation. If we're disagreeing on the term, please clarify. Don't mean to a bother if I've misinterpreted you!

02 February, 2006 18:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home