Optimates Optimates

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Our brothers to the north: Speaking of election results, I am eagerly anticipating the formation of the first non-Liberal government in Canada in 13 years. Here is a good summary of what happened.

Am I giddy at the prospective of a Conservative-led government? Obviously I am! Read these words by incoming PM, Stephen Harper:

"Perhaps most importantly, we will begin the task of re-building federalism in the province of Quebec. I am especially proud of the fact that both Anglophones and Francophones worked together to bring about real change in Quebec. Our government will build a new and dynamic voice for federalism in Quebec.
To the people of the West, let me say one thing and let me be clear: the West is now in. Canada will work for all of us. To people in Atlantic Canada – the very different provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. We know that made-in-Ottawa solutions are not the answer. We will work to give you more control over your resources because I know that for my ancestral home the best is yet to come. To the people of the North – including the Yukon, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories – I say we see your potential and we look forward to helping you achieve your dreams."


Imagine that! A Conservative party advocating federalism and regional differences! The party also plans to cut taxes and back away from proposed restrictions on gun ownership. Did I mention that Harper once chided the Canadian House of Commons for failing to join the English-speaking countries in the Iraq War? Giddy, giddy, giddy!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

And bravo to the Canadian House of Commons for not getting stuck in the mess in the Middle East that we've been in...

And to continue on my bleeding-heart liberal spiel, while I think the Conservative government will do a lot to fix the country economically, I worry about the future status of the far more socially liberal country to our North. The country that realized things like smoking pot and gay marriage were actually not that big of a deal. The fact that the conservatives share many of the same views as their republican counterparts in the US (Though not with as much religious fervor), scares me just a little. I don't think that Harper will try to roll back any of those laws anytime soon, but I still can't totally cheer his election.

I personally liked the candidate that gave birth the day before the election. Canadian politics are fun!

25 January, 2006 16:14  
Blogger Joshua said...

Thought sanctions on Iraq were working, did you?

25 January, 2006 21:58  
Blogger Joshua said...

Well, lookee here: someone else blogged on the Canadian elections *and* mentioned India! All rolled up in one easy link! Go Anglosphere!

26 January, 2006 09:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home