Optimates Optimates

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Torture, anyone?
Since John McCain's anti-torture amendment passed the senate by a sound margin, it appears that a certain administration is trying to create loopholes to allow torture to be carried out by certain agencies. What does everyone think of that?

I, personally, am against torture as a general rule. However, I do feel that in DIRE circumstances, perhaps a little "coercion" is required. If someone's life depended on information that could reliably be extracted from someone via torture, then perhaps I could let that slide. This, I'd assume, creates a slippery slope, what with different "definitions" of "dire." So, I dunno. I thought it was a pretty salient topic, and thought I'd open something of a dialogue...

1 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

Here's a typically good Sullivan post on the matter:

http://www.andrewsullivan.com/index.php?dish_inc=archives/2005_12_04_dish_archive.html#113397322813109872

Andrew has been outstanding on the issue of torture and why it is no good.

I remain a pretty hard-line libertarian on this myself: once you let the genie of executive prerogative out of the bottle, it's hard to get it back in.

07 December, 2005 13:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home