Optimates Optimates

Monday, November 21, 2005

And you, my son?: I was a hard sell, but last night's season finale of Rome on HBO was compelling drama.
At long last, I felt that Caesar was Caesar. The previous episodes' incarnation had been a bit too thuggish for my tastes; last night's was the right combination of supreme confidence and intellect that served to be his undoing.
Of course we can argue about the 'accuracy' of the murder scene itself, which borrowed from Shakespeare and the historical record equally. While I would preferred to hear Caesar say "why, this is violence!" when first accosted by Cimber and Casca, his stunned silence possessed unnerving verisimilitude. And the killer blow by Brutus! How it felt like patricide! Well done, all around.
Now onto season two and the struggles between Octavian and Antony, and Cicero's redemption. I wager that our man Lucius Vorenus will be in no mood to help the Republicans after Niobe's (poor Indira!) suicide. And we must wait until 2007! Woe to the conquered!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home